Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)


Who needs an eTA?

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for travellers from visa exempt countries who fly to or transit through Canada. You will not need an eTA when you enter Canada by land or sea.

eTA is valid for up to five years or until the passport you used to apply for your eTA expires

eTA allows you to travel to Canada many times, and stay for up to six months (the border officer will tell you how long you can stay).

As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa.

Starting on December 1st, 2016, Mexican citizens visiting Canada won’t require a Visa. Instead, Mexicans should get an eTA.

Application Process

You need a passport, credit card and an email address.

eTA costs CAD$7.00

Apply online at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start-int.asp

You will get a confirmation by email

The questionnaire includes the following questions:

  1. Surname
  2. Name
  3. Date of Birth
  4. Country of Birth
  5. Citizenship(s)
  6. Gender
  7. Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?
  8. Funds available for travel to Canada
  9. Passport Number
  10. Country in which the passport was issued
  11. Date of Issue
  12. Date of Expiry
  13. Preferred Language
  14. Email address
  15. Residential address

Countries that need a visa to enter Canada


Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Leave a Reply