Canada International Students by Source Country – 2016

Canada International Students by Country 2016

International Students in Canada in 2016

On December 31st 2016, 414,285 international students* were present in Canada –an increase of 18% compared to the previous year.




In 2016, international students came to Canada from more than 190 countries.

The top two source countries* of international students to Canada were China (132,345 or 31.9%), India (76,530 or 18.5%); together accounted for 50.4% of the total.

Republic of Korea (5.2%), France (5%), the United States of America (3.1%), Nigeria (2.6), Brazil (2.2%), Saudi Arabia (2.2%), Japan (1.9%) and Vietnam (1.8%) were also in the top 10 source countries of international students to Canada in 2016.

From 2015 to 2016, the number of international students from most of the top 10 source countries increased as follows: India (58%), Vietnam (55%), Brazil (27%), China (12%), Japan (10%), Nigeria (9%), Republic of Korea (8%), USA (6%) and France (4%). The exception was Saudi Arabia (-22%).

Note:

*Study Permit Holders with a valid study permit on December 31st.

Source:

IRCC

Support our Work



Leave a Reply